Peace Cairn to be Moved to Final Resting Place
Wetaskiwin’s Peace Cairn will soon be moved to its final resting place just east of the Wetaskiwin water tower at 5530 – 50 Avenue. A tender has been issued by the City asking for bids on the Peace Cairn’s relocation. This bidding opportunity closes at 2 pm local time on Thursday, August 15.
The move of the Peace Cairn was first announced in a press release issued by the City of Wetaskiwin on August 10, 2018 due to the former Visitor Information Centre property at 4910 – 55A Street being listed as surplus property and put on the real estate market.
On April 23, 2019, Wetaskiwin City Council approved the future location and design of the Peace Cairn during their regular Council meeting, specifying that the work amount to no more than $125,000—to be taken from reserves. City Council also directed Administration to pursue declaring the location a Municipal Historic Reserve, which protects historical resources from demolition or alternations that take away from their heritage value.
Mayor Tyler Gandam collaborated with the Four Cree Nations of Maskwacîs on the final location and design of the Peace Cairn, as well as any traditional ceremonies required throughout this process. A dedication and grand opening event will be planned for after the relocation process is complete.
Additional information will become available after the tender closes on August 15, 2019. The photos below illustrate the intended location and design of the Peace Cairn’s final resting place.
Brief History of the Peace Cairn:
• As part of the celebrations for Canada’s Diamond Jubilee in 1927, the people of Wetaskiwin erected a cairn to mark the 60 years of peace between the Nehiyawak (Cree) and Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) Nations. Local school children each carried a rock and walked in procession to the hills (now called Peace Hills) overlooking Wetaskiwin to erect the Peace Cairn. The cairn was dedicated on the morning of July 2, 1927.
• The Peace Cairn was moved from Peace Hills to Centennial Park (adjacent to Hwy 2A) in 1980 when the province widened Highway 13.
• The Peace Cairn was relocated again in 2006 as part of Wetaskiwin’s 100th anniversary to the junction of Hwy 2A and 50 Avenue (where it is currently located).