Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the following motions were made--and approved--by Wetaskiwin City Council at the March 17, 2020 special City Council meeting:
- That the City of Wetaskiwin close all remaining City buildings to the public, effective end-of-day March 17, 2020. Essential services, however, will continue to be maintained including the recycling centre and the landfill (which will remain open at this time).
- That the March 23, 2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council meetings be cancelled in order to allow staff to be dedicated full time to the City’s COVID-19 response efforts. The regularly scheduled April 14, 2020 meetings have not been canceled at this time.
- That Wetaskiwin Transit continue to provide essential transit appointments both within and outside the City of Wetaskiwin. This includes any doctor or other medical appointments. All non-essential transit requests will be denied at this time.
More information about each item can be found below.
All City Buildings Closed to Public Until Further Notice
While our doors may be closed to the public at this time, please know that we are still here to provide service as much as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic while ensuring the protection of the public’s health, as well as that of our employees. If you usually visit Wetaskiwin City Hall to make payments, please do the following instead until further notice:
- set up bill payments through online banking
- contact your Financial institution to set up payments
- deliver a money order or cheque to Wetaskiwin City Hall’s drop-box (located at 4705 - 50 Avenue)
You can still contact City staff with questions at email@example.com or by calling 780.361.4400.
March 23 Council Meeting Cancelled
Due to the large staff focus on managing the City’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Wetaskiwin City Council voted to cancel the regularly scheduled March 23, 2020 Committee of the Whole and regular Council meetings. The items that were scheduled for presentation or discussion at these meetings are being moved to the regular April 14, 2020 meeting instead.
Wetaskiwin Transit Only Offering Service for Essential Appointments
Wetaskiwin Transit will now only be offering service to those who are traveling to/from essential appointments such as doctor or medical appointments. All other non-essential travel requests will be postponed at this time. Call 780-361-4444 to book with Wetaskiwin Transit.
Remember: do not go to a medical facility if you are sick or presenting with symptoms of COVID-19. Call Alberta Health Link at 8-1-1 for further instructions if you are sick or think you may have COVID-19.