RSSEmailPrintHomeContact Us

Go To Search
Click to Home
Candidate Information
Candidate Information
Candidates, please take notice of the following dates:
  • October 5, 2017 - Candidates Forum at the Memorial Arts Centre from 6 pm until 9 pm. Please contact the Wetaskiwin Chamber of Commerce for more information.
  • October 16, 2017 - Election Day! Don't forget to vote.

During the Candidate Information Session we received several question regarding running a campaign. These questions and their answers are posted below for your convenience:

Q: What is the form 3a and when does a person have to file it?
 Form 3a declares your intent to become a candidate. The intent of this form is to keep track of candidates who are receiving campaign contributions or who are self-funding. It is important to file this form with the Returning Officer prior to accepting any campaign contributions. Even after a person is officially a candidate, they must file this form prior to receiving any campaign contributions. Please keep in mind that campaign contributions include any monetary or in-kind donations such as gifts of pins, signs, or services gifted to the person. 

Q: Form 3a is asking for the financial institution where my campaign funds are deposited, do I need to open a separate bank account for my campaign?
A: No, a separate campaign bank account is only needed for when your donations of money and gifts exceeds $5,000 or if the amount of money you have self-funded plus the donations of gifts and money exceeds $5,000, whichever comes first. 
Please note that a candidate may only receive a maximum of $5,000 of donations from one single donor per year. 

Q: I only want to self-fund my campaign, can I do that?
A: Yes, a candidate is allowed to self-fund up to $10,000. 

Q: Do I need to keep receipts of everything I buy for the campaign?
A: Yes, these receipts will be submitted with your financial disclosure statements which must be filed by March 1st, 2018. Neglecting to file your financial disclosure statements could make you ineligible for the next election, or it could disqualify you as a councillor. For any gifts received such as pins being gifted or signs donated, they must be valued and that value is recorded as a contribution. 

Q: Regarding election signage, while election signs cannot be placed on City property (including roads and boulevards), can I put a sign on my car and park my car on the side of the road?
A: The Wetaskiwin Election Signage bylaw does not cover vehicle signs and as such, vehicle signs are exempt from public property restrictions. Please note that on Election Day (October 16th) or any of the advanced vote days (October 7th and 10th), vehicles with election signs may not be within 50 metres of any voting station including institutional vote locations.

Election signage in the City of Wetaskiwin may only be erected between the dates of 12 Noon on the day when the Election is called and 24 hours after the closing of polling stations. Furthermore, signs may only be freestanding. 

Furthermore, signs cannot:
  • be placed on City of Wetaskiwin property or on any highways or roads within City limits and;
  • be fixed to utility poles or boxes, trees, planters, benches, waste receptacles, newspaper boxes or other similar fixtures, and;
  • impede or obstruct any traffic signal, cannot resemble any traffic sign, and cannot obstruct the view of any person operating a vehicle, and;
  • be placed on private property without prior consent of the property owner beforehand, and;
  • on Election Day or the days of advanced vote, display a vehicle election sign within 50 metres of any polling station. View a map of polling stations and the 50 metre radius surrounding them.
    View a map of the buffer zones.

Q: If I want to have a scrutineer at a voting station what do I need to do?

A: A scrutineer is an individual who observes the voting or ballot counting procedure on behalf of a candidate at a voting station. Prior to arriving at the voting station on Election Day, the scrutineer must have in their possession a signed letter from the candidate stating that they are authorized by the candidate to act as their scrutineer. Once at the voting station, the Presiding Deputy Returning Officer or the Returning Officer will process them and get them set up as a scrutineer.

Additional Information
For further information or if you have any questions regarding the Election, please contact Lucien Cloutier, Returning Officer at 780-361-4459 or at

Please check back regularly as information on this page is subject to change and/or additional information may be posted. The above information is provided as a courtesy to potential candidates and the City of Wetaskiwin is in no way responsible for errors or omissions. Please consult the Local Authorities Election Act as a comprehensive guide to the election. It is the responsibility of the candidates to read and understand the legislation and bylaws concerning this election.