RSSEmailPrintHomeContact Us

Go To Search
Click to Home
Community Peace Officers
City of Wetaskiwin's Community Peace Officers
The City of Wetaskiwin’s Community Peace Officers are both proactive and reactive in responding to public requests for service and enforcement of Municipal Bylaws and select Provincial Statutes.

Community Peace Officers are employees of the City who are sworn in by Alberta’s solicitor general and the Province of Alberta, giving them legal peace officer status. They have the authority to enforce any city bylaw and specific provincial statutes and their mandate is to focus on particular issues affecting the community.
  • List of frequently-requested bylaws

For additional information, please contact the Community Peace Officers at (780) 361-4401 or you can email them at

Online Reporting
Use our confidential online reporting system to share your concerns. You will be able to track the status on your concern until it has been resolved.

Animal Control
The City of Wetaskiwin has an Animal Control Bylaw in place stating that all pet owners must register their cats and dogs over the age of 12 months with the City of Wetaskiwin. This is a one-time registration fee that is good for the life of the pet.

For more information, please contact our Community Peace Officers at (780) 361-4401.

Registration Fees

  • Spayed or neutered dog or cat - $25 (one-time fee)
  • Non-spayed or non-neutered dog or cat - $150 (one-time fee)

Other Fees and fines

  • Cat Boarding Fee - $15.75 per day
  • Cat Release Fee (registered and neutered) - $25
  • Dog Boarding Fee - $21 per day
  • Dog Release Fee (registered and neutered) - $25
  • Unregistered animal release fee - $100
  • Non-resident animal release fee - $25

License Regulations

All cats and dogs must have a City-issued license.

Lost Pets

All lost and found pets in the City of Wetaskiwin are housed at the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic which, under contract with the City, operates the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter:

4735–39 Avenue
Wetaskiwin, AB T9A 2E9
Ph: (780) 352-7006.

If you find a lost or stray animal, there are a few ways to return the animal to its owner:
  • If the pet has a City of Wetaskiwin license, call (780) 361-4401 to be connected with a peace officer who will contact the owner.
  • It it is during business hours take the pet to the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter (4735-39 Avenue) and they will contact the City to contact the owner.
  • After normal business hours please call the RCMP Complaint Line at 780-312-7267.
  • If you would like to adopt the animal, be sure to ask for special consideration when reporting it or turning it over to the shelter. If the owner does not reclaim the animal and it is adoptable, you will be considered first for adoption.

If you have lost a pet, follow these steps:
  • Immediately look around your neighbourhood.
  • Visit the Animal Shelter to see if your pet has been turned in.
  • Check with bylaw services to make sure that the contact information associated with your license is correct. If your pet is licensed and wearing tags, animal services will contact you if your pet is found.
  • The Animal Shelter holds all pets for a minimum of three business days, so be sure to check back regularly.

What if the City has your pet?

  • If your pet is lost contact City of Wetaskiwin Peace Officers at 780-361-4401.
  • Also contact the Wetaskiwin Animal Clinic at 780-352-7006.
  • If your pet is in the Animal Shelter, you will have to pay some fees or fines. 

Pet Information - Dogs

For many families, dogs become just like another member. To ensure the best experience for you and your dog, please remember the following:
  • Keep Your Dog Under Control: Your dog must be kept under complete control at all times. A dog on leash must be prevented from making unwanted approaches towards other animals or people.
  • Clean Up After Your Dog: Pick up after your dog and dispose of the droppings in a plastic bag in a refuse container. There is a $100 fine for not picking up after your dog.
  • Barking: As a responsible pet owner, you must prevent your dog from barking continuously. If your dog is a problem barker, there are simple, effective and inexpensive ways to control this behaviour. Please contact your veterinarian or a dog trainer for more information.
  • Dogs Left Unattended in Vehicles: During hot weather the temperature inside a vehicle can be high enough to cause brain damage, suffocation and even death. Every year Community Peace Officers responds to complaints of pets left in vehicles. Many animals die annually in Alberta from this careless act. When the weather is warm, leave your dog at home as even ten minutes in the car is too long.

Vicious Dogs
Special regulations apply to some dogs, in addition to all other pet regulations, to protect public safety. The dogs that must follow these additional regulations are called “vicious dogs.”

Animal Control Bylaw defines a "vicious dog" as any dog of any age that:
  • Shows a propensity, disposition or potential to attack or injure, without provocation, humans or other animals
  • Without provocation, chases humans or other animals
  • Is a continuing threat of serious harm to humans or other animals
  • Without provocation, has attacked humans or other animals

Regulations & Fines
If you own or are caring for a vicious dog, there are special regulations that apply. Failure to comply with the regulations result in the following fines:
  • Regulation - License
    • Description - The dog must have a valid license. Offences for infractions within a year are:
    • Fine - $100, $250, $500
  • Regulation - Off Property of Owner
    • Description - If you take the restricted dog off your property, you must ensure it is under control, muzzled and held on a leash no longer than two metres
    • Fine - $500
  • Regulation - On Property of Owner
    • Description - When the restricted dog is on your own property, you must have it kept one of the following ways at all times: Indoors, Outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen, Outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property
    • Fine - $500
  • Regulation - Attacks
    • Description - Property damage or Chase, attack or bite any person or animal or Chase, attack or bite any person or animal causing physical injury
    • Fine - $1500

Community Peace Officers investigate and enforces violations of Animal Bylaws and fees as outlined in Animal Bylaw, as well as the Animal Protection Act and Dangerous Dogs Act. The latter two acts are available on the Alberta Government website

Pet Information - Cats

It's a fact that an inside cat lives a longer, healthier life than those that wander outdoors. An indoor cat never faces the many dangers waiting outside such as cars, attacks by other animals, and exposure to diseases, parasites and poisons. Cats kept inside require less veterinarian care for problems more often associated to roaming cats such as fleas, ticks, worms, and diarrhea.

Outdoor cats are more likely to get lost and searching for a lost cat is a time-consuming and often heartbreaking experience. Cats wandering outside can be legally trapped by a neighbor and turned over to the Animal Shelter.

The Animal Control Bylaw states that cats are prohibited from running at large. Bylaw Services recommends that domestic felines be kept indoors or allowed outdoors only when in an enclosed area or on a leash/tie-out with appropriate supervision.

Nuisance Cat Information
If you are having a problem with a nuisance cat, it is recommended that you try other humane methods to deter a cat from entering your property. These include speaking to the cat's owner (if known). Cats can be trained not to enter your yard simply by making your property unpleasant. Some methods include:
  • Place mesh netting (angled outwards) or PVC pipe at the top of your fence to prevent cats from climbing over
  • Bury chicken wire just below the surface of your flowerbeds to discourage digging and cover the bed with bark chips or gravel so it is rough
  • Spray the cat with water whenever it enters your yard
  • Spread repellents around your property, like mothballs, vinegar or orange peels

If the above methods do not work, you can use a humane live cat trap to capture the animal. The Humane Society supports the use of humane live cat traps only as a last resort to remove an unwanted cat from a piece of property, and only if all appropriate actions are taken to ensure the health and safety of the trapped cat.

The most commonly used humane cat trap is a metal cage with a plate on the bottom. When the cat is enticed into the cage, it steps on this plate, which closes the door behind it.

Community Peace Officers do not capture stray and at-large cats, but do lend humane traps to residents between April 1 and October 31 (weather dependent). The resident is responsible to deliver the trapped animal to the Wetaskiwin Animal Shelter located at 4735 – 39 Avenue and can be contacted at (780)-352-7006.

Traps are signed out at no charge to city residents but damage to or failure to return the trap will result in a charge of approximately $100 to the resident. People signing out a trap must first complete an Animal Trap Application Form.

Photo Radar
Photo radar is used in the City of Wetaskiwin to increase speed awareness and change driver behavior. Tickets - including picture of the vehicle with the license plate number, date, and time of infraction and recorded speed - are mailed directly to the registered owner of the vehicle. Demerit points are not issued for photo radar tickets.

In October 2009 the City of Wetaskiwin has entered into an agreement with Global Traffic Group Limited of Devon, Alberta, for photo radar services. Any questions concerning photo radar can be directed to Global Traffic Group Limited at (780) 987-4949 or our Community Peace Officers at (780) 361-4401.