Wetaskiwin City Council deferred the tax deadline for property owners earlier this year as part of the City’s COVID-19 response efforts. If you pay taxes within the City of Wetaskiwin, here is what you need to know:
The tax payment deadline is September 30, 2020
The tax deadline for 2020 has been set as September 30. If you do not pay your current year’s taxes by this date a late payment penalty of five percent (5%) will be applied to your account on October 1, 2020.
Arrears penalty applied on outstanding tax balances as of January 1, 2021
An arrears penalty of ten percent (10%) will be applied to your account if you do not pay your outstanding tax balance by January 1, 2021.
If you are paying through your bank’s online banking system, please keep in mind that it takes the bank up to 4 business days to forward your funds on to the City. If the City does not receive your payment on or before the payment deadline, regardless of when you paid it at your bank, the payment will still be considered late and a late penalty will be assessed. If you have any questions about this, please contact City Hall at 780.361.4400.
How to pay your taxes
There are a few different ways you can pay your taxes:
- Make payment in person at City Hall (4705 – 50 Avenue) Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (closed between 12 noon and 1 pm). Cash, debit, cheque, or money order accepted.
- Mail a cheque or money order to:
Wetaskiwin City Hall (Finance Department)
P.O. Box 6210, Wetaskiwin, Alberta T9A 2E9
- Deliver a cheque or money order to Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 – 50 Avenue) to the drop-off box on the north side of the building.
- Make a payment at any financial institution (bank), or through your online banking.
- Credit cards are not accepted for property tax payments.
- Make cheques/money orders payable to The City of Wetaskiwin and enclose the remittance portion of your notice with the cheque/money order.
Pre-authorized tax payment plan
The City of Wetaskiwin offers property owners a monthly payment plan for their taxes. Payments can be arranged for the 1st or 15th of each month. Any outstanding tax balances must be paid in full to qualify for the monthly tax payment plan. To sign up—or for more information—call Wetaskiwin City Hall at 780.361.4400.
Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 780.361.4400 Monday through Friday during regular business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm; closed for lunch from 12 noon to 1 pm).