Community Engagement Committee
Who We Are
The City of Wetaskiwin Community Engagement Committee (CEC) is a group of dedicated volunteers who are passionate about helping to create a strong sense of community pride within Wetaskiwin. Through collaboration with other individuals, agencies, and organizations, our intent is to create affordable and accessible events that showcase our amazing community, engage its citizens, and bring visitors to the area.
Our mandate is to create and promote new community events in the City of Wetaskiwin.
The CEC strives to meet its mandate by achieving the following goals
- Create a strong sense of community pride by encouraging Community organizations and business groups to undertake the organization of community events with a goal of at least one new sustainable event each year.
- Provide opportunities for local businesses and organizations to become actively involved / engaged in the events through sponsorship, business exposures or organizational assistance
The committee shall consist of a maximum of twelve (12) executive members of which a maximum of ten (10) will be community members who have been appointed by resolution of council. Additionally, a maximum of two (2) members of council may be appointed as members of the executive. The executive members, at their discretion, may invite other community members to act as general members to assist in meetings to ensure the minimum amount of members required. The CEC should have a chairperson, vice-chairperson, recording secretary, and treasurer.
The CEC will:
- Work in collaboration with other individuals/agencies who have expressed interest in supporting events
- Maintain a volunteer database
- Obtain City Council's approval of an event plan and budget prior to initiating an event
- Report to City Council upon the completion of the each event. This report should include the following topics:
- Participation rate
- Evaluation of the event
- Financial recommendations
- Options for council participation for future events
Scope and Jurisdiction
The CEC exists at the discretion of the City of Wetaskiwin, and is therefore accountable to the City of Wetaskiwin for meeting the agreed upon deliverables stated above and accounting for their allocated budget as approved and authorized by the City of Wetaskiwin.
The CEC will operate and make decisions in accordance with the following rules :
- The CEC is to meet, at a minimum, of once per month but may meet more frequently as is the discretion of the executives to determine what is necessary in order to effectively achieve the outlined goals
- A quorum of seven (7) of the twelve (12) Executives is required in order to make decisions within a meeting
Code of Conduct
- Membership on this committee is voluntary and members are not eligible for diems.
- No member should use their position on the CEC to secure special privileges, favours or exemptions for themselves their relatives, or any other person
- Each members interest at all times should be to serve in alignment with public interest
Are you passionate about the community in Wetaskiwin? Do you love planning and executing fun and engaging activities for the community? Come and join the CEC and help us plan and execute various fun events throughout the year. We are looking for people from all walks of life and all ideas are welcomed!
For more information or to sign-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter Warm-Up is a free four day event for all ages! The CEC organizes this event in November to get people out of the house and having fun!
Get ready for events and activities such as the Festival of Trees, Light Up City Hall, pony rides, archery, and much more! Bring your entire family this fantastic fun and free event to make the most out of the winter season!
Check out the printable save the date for this years Winter Warm-Up here.
In order to keep everyone safe during the ongoing pandemic, masks will be mandatory during all Winter Warm-Up events.
We will be following all AHS regulations for this incredible 4-day free event.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Covid-19 protocols for Winter Warm-Up 2021 please DM or email email@example.com.
We can't wait to see you!
Outline of Events
Thursday, November 18, 2021
Festival of Trees
Friday, November 19, 2021
Santa Claus Parade
City Hall Light-Up
Saturday, November 20, 2021
Axe & Knife Throwing
Family Friendly Games
Garland & Grace Craft Sale
Sunday, November 21, 2021
For more information about the Community Engagement Committee, Winter Warm-Up, or other events and volunteer opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 780.361.6348